I hope you’ve all been having a great week so far! This month I’ve made it a goal to really push myself at the gym – for me, this means running that extra bit on the treadmill, going heavier in my weight training, and really throwing myself into my pilates and yoga classes to make the most of them. To do this, I really believe in using my food as fuel to help propel my workout, and to help me recover afterwards for optimal muscle growth and recovery. So, here’s my favourite pre and post-workout snacks:
I find that my body operates really well during a workout if I’ve eaten carbs and natural sugars beforehand, so my go-to pre-workout snacks include things like:
- Multigrain bread with natural peanut butter
- Bounce Superberry balls
- Smoothie (usually some sort of banana, soy milk/coconut water concoction)
- Hummus and crackers
- Muesli and vegan yoghurt
I like to make sure I finish eating at least half an hour before my workout as I can feel sluggish working out when I’m too full!
I’ve noticed that my body responds well when I eat a mixture of protein and carbs after my workout. The amount of protein you need after your workout depends on your body composition and fitness goals, but here’s some of my plant-based go-to’s:
- Bounce Plant Protein balls – these are such a quick and easy way to make sure you’re hitting your protein/carb needs!
- Protein smoothie (1 scoop protein powder, 200mls non-dairy milk, 1 banana and 1 tsp raw honey/sweetener)
- Chia pudding
- Banana and peanut/almond butter
- Handful of almonds and fruit
So those are just a few of my faves, let’s kick some (fitness and health) goals this April!