Immunity Boosting from the Inside-Out
With winter well and truly settling in, I’ve found myself fighting off colds and flus left, right and centre and it’s more important than ever to look after yourself. I find that factoring a little bit of extra sleep can really help during the cold months, as well as staying warm and dressing for the weather. One main thing I do during winter to stay well is to increase my intake of immunity-boosting foods and vitamins! One of my go-to recipes for winter is my winter nourish bowl - it has broccoli, a cruciferous vegetable, sweet potato and pumpkin - which are known to help the immune system. Garlic, turmeric, lemon and miso don’t only add great taste - they can also help your body fight off infection! Hope you love my favourite recipe for keeping the nasty cold away.
- Lisa x
Winter Nourish Bowl (serves 2)
- 1/3 head broccoli
- 1 cup sweet potato, chopped into large chunks
- 1 cup pumpkin, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g firm tofu
- ½ cup spinach, packed
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- ½ lemon, sliced into wedges
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 2 tbsp tahini
- ½ tsp coconut sugar or honey
- 3 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 180C. Spray a baking tray with oil or line with baking paper.
- In a bowl, combine garlic, turmeric and 1 tbsp olive oil. Toss sweet potato, broccoli and pumpkin in mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place sweet potato, broccoli and pumpkin onto baking tray and roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice tofu into rectangles. Heat a large non-stick frying pan and the remaining tbsp oil on high heat. Add tofu and cook for 3-5 minutes on both sides. Season with soy sauce or salt and pepper.
- Mix together dressing ingredients, adding water gradually until you reach your desired consistency.
- Once vegetables are roasted and tofu is cooked, you can assemble your bowl! Rice at the bottom and tofu, roasted vegetables and spinach on top. Serve with a drizzle of dressing and a wedge of lemon - enjoy!