Holiday Cranberry and Apple Pie
Today’s holiday-themed recipe draws inspiration from the new Bounce Berry Nut Butter Bar - a healthy and vegan version of a Cranberry and Apple Pie. I created this recipe for sharing with family at a beautiful Christmas lunch or a gathering with friends over the holiday season, using Christmassy spices such as cinnamon, clove and nutmeg, and cranberries, cherries, sultanas and dates to give it natural sweetness. I’ve used ready-made vegan pastry, as the one thing we all tend to be short of over the holiday season is time, but feel free to use your own pastry recipe if you wish! Serve with dairy-free ice cream or cream and enjoy with friends.
Holiday Cranberry and Apple Pie - VEGAN (serves 6-8)
- 2 sheets vegan shortcut pastry, defrosted
- 1 ½ cups tinned apples
- 1 cup frozen cranberries
- ½ cup frozen cherries
- ¼ cup sultanas
- ¼ cup dates, chopped finely
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, cold and diced
- Melted vegan butter for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 200C or 180C fan-forced.
- Lightly grease pie case with coconut oil or vegan butter. Lay pastry over pie case to form the crust of the pie. Cook according to packet (usually around 10-12 mins in the oven). Weights optional.
- Mix filling ingredients together.
- Spread filling ingredients over pie crust. Dot the cold vegan butter around the top of the pie.
- To make the lattice topping, cut 2cm ribbons out of second pastry sheet. Weave them over the top of the pie. Trim edges and fold down.
- Brush vegan butter over the pastry.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until pastry is cooked and golden.
- Serve and enjoy!