Dinner Date Recipe
I love making dinner for others as I think it’s such a nice (and inexpensive) way to treat someone. As the weather cools down, I find myself leaning towards comfort foods - pasta, stews and the like. But these don’t necessarily have to be unhealthy! This month I’m sharing one of my favourite meals I make when I’m trying to impress - and it’s so easy and relatively healthy, too! Asparagus and Basil Fettuccine with a side of Paprika Kale Chips. I made this for my partner but you could make it for your friends, or even your mum. The whole meal is vegan and gluten-free, but feel free to add in bacon, fetta and/or parmesan to the pasta if you or the person you’re making it for wants something a little bit extra. You’ll still be getting in those veggies, and that’s what counts!
Paprika Kale Chips
- 1 bunch kale
- Sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- Preheat your oven to 175C.
- Wash kale and remove leaves from stems.
- Place in bowl with a generous amount of sea salt and the olive oil and paprika. Massage the oil/salt mixture into the leaves (the kale ‘wilts’ as the oil is massaged into it so I like to do one half of the bunch first before adding the second bunch).
- Spread kale mixture out on a lined baking tray so that it is in a single layer. If you need to, use two trays - a single layer is how you avoid soggy chips!
- Bake kale for 20-30 minutes, or until crisp, rotating the tray half way through.
- Cool for a few minutes on the baking tray (this allows them to crisp up even more) and serve!
Asparagus and Basil Fettuccine
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 450g gluten-free fettuccine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5cm piece of leek, sliced thin
- 500g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 bunches of asparagus
- 1 bunch basil
- ½ cup olive oil
- Seasoning (salt, pepper, chilli flakes)
- Cook pasta according to packet.
- Heat a large saucepan and sauté the garlic and leek in 1 tbsp of oil until fragrant.
- Meanwhile, cut the ends off asparagus and chop into about 2 cm pieces. Keep the tops long.
- Add in mushrooms, asparagus and cherry tomatoes to the pan. Sauté, adding oil if needed.
- Once mushrooms are almost cooked, add in basil and seasoning. Take saucepan off heat and stir through oil. Add seasoning as needed.
- Mix the pasta through the vegetables and enjoy!